The ACPF team and partners have published a number of peer-reviewed articles on the ACPF planning concept, the toolbox, the riparian mapping system, the use on ACPF on the ground. The ACPF has also been used to answer other research questions. Explore the publications:
Peer-reviewed publications on the ACPF – what it is, the underlying framework, the structure of the database, and practice placement options.
- Tomer, M.D., Porter, S.A., James, D.E., Boomer, K.M.B., Kostel, J.A. & McLellan, E. (2013) Combining precision conservation technologies into a flexible framework to facilitate agricultural watershed planning. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 68, 113A-120A.
- Tomer, M.D., Porter, S.A., Boomer K.M.B., James, D.E., Kostel, J.A., Helmers, M.J., Isenhart, T.M. & McLellan, E. (2015) Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework: 1. Developing Multipractice Watershed Planning Scenarios and Assessing Nutrient Reduction Potential Journal of Environmental Quality. 44(3),754-767
- Tomer, M.D., Boomer, K.M.B., Porter, S.A., Gelder, B.K., James, D.E. & McLellan, E. (2015) Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework: 2. Classification of Riparian Buffer Design Types with Application to Assess and Map Stream Corridors. Journal of Environmental Quality. 44(3), 768-779
- Tomer, M.D., James, D.E. & Sandoval-Green, C.M.J. (2017) Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework: 3. Land use and field boundary database development and structure. Journal of Environmental Quality. 46(3), 676-686.
- Lewandowski, A.M., M.D. Tomer, J. Buchanan, A. Kiel, J.J. Sloan, L. Olson, and R. Power. (2020) Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework: Watershed applications, research opportunities, and training resources. Journal of Soil & Water Conservation. 75(4):427-433.
- Tomer, M.D., Van Horn, J.D., Porter, S.A., Niemi, J. (2020) Comparing Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework (ACPF) practice placements for runoff mitigation and controlled drainage among 32 watersheds representing Iowa landscapes. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 75(4), 460-471.
- Tomer, M.D., S.A. Porter, D.E. James, and J.D. Van Horn. (2020) Potential for saturated riparian buffers to treat tile drainage among 32 watersheds representing Iowa landscapes. Journal of Soil & Water Conservation. 75(4):453-459.
Examples of how ACPF can be used in a watershed context
- Church, S.P., Babin, N., Bentlage, B., Dunn, M., Ulrich-Schad, J.D., Ranjan, P., Magner, J., McLellan, E., Stephan, S., Tomer, M.D., Propoky, L.S. (2019) The Beargrass Story: Utilizing Social Science to Evaluate and Learn from the “Watershed Approach” The Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 167, 78-96.
- Gesch, K., A. Kiel, T. Sutphin, and R. Wolf. (2020) Integrating farmer input and Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework results to develop watershed plans in Iowa. 75(4):101A-104A.
- Tomer, M.D., and J.A. Nelson. (2020) Measurements of landscape capacity for water detention and wetland restoration practices can inform watershed planning goals and implementation strategies: A research editorial. Journal of Soil & Water Conservation. 75(4):434-443.
- Tomer, M.D., S.A. Porter, D.E. James, and J.D. Van Horn. (2020) Riparian catchments: A landscape approach to link uplands with riparian zones for agricultural and ecosystem conservation. Journal of Soil & Water Conservation. 75(4):94A-100A.
Social science on farmer and farm advisor use and perception of the ACPF
- Ranjan, P., Singh, A.S., Tomer, M.D., Lewandowski, A.M., & Prokopy, L.S. (2019) Lessons learned from using a decision-support tool for precision placement of conservation practices in six agricultural watersheds in the US Midwest. Journal of Environmental Management, 239, 57-65.
- Ranjan, P., A.S. Singh, M.D. Tomer, A.M. Lewandowski, and L.S. Prokopy. (2020) Farmer engagement using a precision approach to watershed-scale conservation planning: What do we know? Journal of Soil & Water Conservation.75(4):444-452.
Using ACPF in combination with other conservation tools
- Rundhaug, T.J., Geimer, G.R., Drake, C.W., Arenas Amado, A., Bradley, A.A., Wolter, C.F., & Weber, L.J. (2018) Agricultural conservation practices in Iowa watersheds: Comparing actual implementation with practice potential. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 190: 659
- McLellan, E.L., Schilling, K.E., Wolter, C.F., Tomer, M.D., Porter, S.A., Magner, J.A., Smith, D.R., & Prokopy, L.S. (2018) Right practice, right place: A conservation planning toolbox for meeting water quality goals in the Corn Belt. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 73(2), 29A-34A.
- Srinivs, R., Drewitz, M., Magner, J. (2020) Evaluating watershed-based optimized decision support framework for conservation practice placement in the Plum Creek Minnesota. Journal of Hydrology, 583: 124573.