This resource library highlights some of the key ACPF resources. Looking for additional resources you don’t see on this page? Reach out to the ACPF forum to connect with fellow APCF users. ACPF users are often the most important resource for more information!
New to ACPF? Check out the ACPF Summary Factsheet for an overview of how watershed coordinators can use ACPF and what is needed to run the toolbox.
The ACPF team and other partners have published a number of peer-reviewed articles on the ACPF planning concept, the toolbox, the riparian mapping system, the use on ACPF on the ground. The ACPF has also been used to answer other research questions. Explore the publications:
- McLellan, E.L., Schilling, K.E., Wolter, C.F., Tomer, M.D., Porter, S.A., Magner, J.A., Smith, D.R., & Prokopy, L.S. (2018) Right pratice, right place: A conservation planning toolbox for meeting water quality goals in the Corn Belt. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 73(2), 29A-34A.
- Ranjan, P., Singh, A.S., Tomer, M.D., Lewandowski, A.M., & Prokopy, L.S. (2019) Lessons learned from using a decision-support tool for precision placement of conservation practices in six agricultural watersheds in the US Midwest.Journal of Environmental Management, 239, 57-65.
- Rundhaug, T.J., Geimer, G.R., Drake, C.W., Arenas Amado, A., Bradley, A.A., Wolter, C.F., & Weber, L.J. (2018) Agricultural conservation practices in Iowa watersheds: Comparing actual implementation with practice potential. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 190: 659
- Tomer, M.D., Porter, S.A., Boomer K.M.B., James, D.E., Kostel, J.A., Helmers, M.J., Isenhart, T.M. & McLellan, E. (2015) Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework: 1. Developing Multipractice Watershed Planning Scenarios and Assessing Nutrient Reduction Potential Journal of Environmental Quality. 44(3),754-767
- Tomer, M.D., Boomer, K.M.B., Porter, S.A., Gelder, B.K., James, D.E. & McLellan, E. (2015) Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework: 2. Classification of Riparian Buffer Design Types with Application to Assess and Map Stream Corridors. Journal of Environmental Quality. 44(3), 768-779
- Tomer, M.D., James, D.E. & Sandoval-Green, C.M.J. (2017) Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework: 3. Land use and field boundary database development and structure. Journal of Environmental Quality. 46(3), 676-686.
- Tomer, M.D., Porter, S.A., James, D.E., Boomer, K.M.B., Kostel, J.A. & McLellan, E. (2013) Combining precision conservation technologies into a flexible framework to facilitate agricultural watershed planning. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 68, 113A-120A.
Examples of ACPF in Use
- The Southfork Watershed Alliance is a group of individuals who are working together to improve their understanding, and implementation of, conservation practices that can be used to improve water quality and soil health. This story map was created to help the Southfork Watershed Alliance interpret APCF output maps of the South Fork watershed and determine how the solutions identified fit into their conservation goals. Conservation practice placement opportunities are categorized under four response management concerns: runoff and erosion control, water detention and storage, tile drainage treatments and riparian management. Individual producers in the South Fork watershed can create their own conservation story through the map by finding and exploring ACPF results for their farm fields.
- The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy created this story map to tell the story of their work in the Elm Creek Watershed to target agricultural best management practices for water quality.
- Prairie Rivers of Iowa is using ACPF to identify opportunities for bioreactors in the Squaw Creek Watershed Management Plan. This blog by Dan Haug overviews how they used ACPF to help reach their goals.
- Colleagues at the University of Minnesota Water Resources Center, with support from USDA NRCS, recently developed a guide for making landscape-specific adaptations to the ACPF. This guide helps users take advantage of the flexibility built into the ACPF toolbox and develop meaningful strategies within the targeted subwatershed using the ACPF toolbox BMP siting outputs.